Bach: Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 - Mortensen
CPO 555 158-2 (2 discs)
Classical - Orchestral
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Lars Ulrik Mortensen (conductor)
Our highly acclaimed Bach series featuring the Concerto Copenhagen and Lars Ulrik Mortensen continues this month with a release on which the master’s Brandenburg Concertos and the successful Danish ensemble are heard in surround sound. The Brandenburg Concertos are practically synonymous with Baroque music; for the general music public these six instrumental concertos represent the quintessence of the Baroque musical era. Bach himself presumably would have been surprised to learn of their symbolic status. After all, he happened to compose them by pure chance and over a longer period of time. After the Brandenburg Concertos had slumbered for a century, these »Sleeping Beauties« were delivered from archival obscurity in 1850 – when the Bach Society of Leipzig was established and undertook the publication of a complete edition of the works of its composer on the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of his death. However, another century passed before the concertos came to enjoy the great popularity they have today. Concerto Copenhagen conveys the unique experience of an artistic depth connected and united with the celebration of life, erudition, and spontaneity representing the true hallmarks of Bach’s music.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the paid links below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 1, BWV 1046 in F major
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 2, BWV 1047 in F major
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, BWV 1048 in G major
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 4, BWV 1049 in G major
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, BWV 1050 in D major
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 6, BWV 1051 in B flat major