A Simple Song - von Otter, Forsberg
Classical - Vocal
Leonard Bernstein: A Simple Song from 'Mass'
Aaron Copland: I’ve heard an organ talk sometimes
Charles Ives: Serenity
Gustav Mahler: Es sungen drei Engel, Urlicht
Richard Strauss: Traum durch die Dämmerung, Morgen
Arvo Pärt: My Heart’s in the Highlands, Es sang vor langen Jahren
Maurice Duruflé: Pie Jesu from 'Requiem'
Olivier Messiaen: Trois mélodies
Francis Poulenc: Priez pour paix
Frank Martin: Agnus Dei from 'Requiem'
Franz Liszt: Ave Maria III
Richard Rodgers: Climb ev’ry mountain from 'The Sound of Music'
Anne Sofie von Otter (mezzo-soprano)
Bengt Forsberg (organ)
Fabian Fredriksson (electric guitar)
Sharon Bezaly (flute)
Margareta Nilsson (harp)
Nils-Erik Sparf (violin)
Ellen Nisbeth (viola)
Marie McLeod (cello)
A brief glance at the list of contents is enough to reveal who the singer is – only Anne Sofie von Otter could have come up with a programme as varied and wide-ranging. And only von Otter could hold it together seamlessly by finding the resonances between these very different pieces, and bringing them out with a rare ability of embracing different singing styles and expressive registers: to paraphrase Bernstein in his A Simple Song, Anne Sofie von Otter never fails to ‘sing like she likes to sing’.
From Liszt to Pärt and from Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony to Richard Rodgers’ Sound of Music, von Otter is supported by her long-time accompanist Bengt Forsberg, here at the organ instead of his usual piano. At various points in the programme they are joined by a number of musical friends, in the organ loft of St James’s Church in central Stockholm – the very church where the young von Otter began her singing career as a chorister and, together with Forsberg, gave one of her very first public concerts.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Leonard Bernstein: Mass
- Aaron Copland: 12 Poems of Emily Dickinson (1950)
- Maurice Durufle: Requiem, Op. 9
- Charles Ives: 114 Songs (1922)
- Franz Liszt: Ave Maria III 'Sposalizio', S. 60
- Gustav Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn
- Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection'
- Frank Martin: Requiem
- Olivier Messiaen: 3 Mélodies
- Arvo Pärt: Es sang vor langen Jahren (1984)
- Arvo Pärt: My Heart's in the Highlands (2000)
- Francis Poulenc: Priez pour paix (1938)
- Richard Rodgers: The Sound of Music
- Richard Strauss: 3 Lieder, TrV 172 Op. 29
- Richard Strauss: 4 Lieder, TrV 170 Op. 27