Handel: Concerto Grossi Op. 3 - Kallweit
PentaTone Classics PTC 5186776
Classical - Orchestral
Handel: Concerto Grossi Op. 3
Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin
Georg Kallweit, director
FINISHING TOUCH OF A CONCERTI GROSSI TRILOGY
The Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin complete their Handel trilogy with this recording of the Op. 3 concerti grossi. Even if this selection of concertos was most likely compiled by Handel’s publisher rather than by the composer himself, the overall quality and colourful nature of the music contained do make it a powerful “opus”. With their historically-informed and lively playing, the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin and concertmaster Georg Kallweit demonstrate why many consider them the best baroque ensemble of today.
The ensemble’s first PENTATONE album, Cantata (2018) with countertenor Bejun Mehta, won a Diapason d’or. Their 2019 recording of the first six Op. 6 concerti grossi was hailed as “immaculately played … free of fashionable eccentricities” by The Sunday Times, while Klassik praised the ensemble’s playing as “eloquent”. Their following release with the remainder of the Op. 6 concertos (2020) was singled out by Music Web International for its unprecedented “lightness” and “brightness”.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in B flat major, HWV 312 (Op. 3 No. 1)
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in B flat major, HWV 313 (Op. 3 No. 2)
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in D major, HWV 317 (Op. 3 No. 6)
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in D minor, HWV 316 (Op. 3 No. 5)
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in F major, HWV 315 (Op. 3 No. 4)
- George Frideric Handel: Concerto Grosso in G major, HWV 314 (Op. 3 No. 3)