Heaven and Earth - Boyer
Cappella Records CR424 (2 discs)
Classical - Vocal
Works by Tavener, Zes, Toensing, Sander, Khalil, Boyer, Arndt
45th Parallel Universe
John Michael Boyer (conductor)
Cappella Records proudly announces the TWO-DISC release of HEAVEN AND EARTH, performed by Cappella Romana with 45th Parallel Universe, directed by John Michael Boyer.
The release also features the world premiere of Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation, a unique collaborative setting of the Creation Psalm (103 LXX) by six acclaimed Orthodox choral composers: Tikey Zes, Richard Toensing, GRAMMY® Award nominee Kurt Sander, Alexander Khalil, Matthew Arndt, and conductor John Michael Boyer. The Saint John of Damascus Society, which promotes new Orthodox choral music, commissioned Heaven and Earth for Cappella Romana in 2013 in honor of the 2012 Higgs boson discovery.
Richard Barrett, Cappella Romana’s Director of Publications, says in his extensive essay that Ikon of Light and Heaven and Earth are “complementary musical compositions that focus on these parallel aspects of light—supernatural and natural—in Orthodox spirituality.” The two works offer a transcendent experience of musical beauty–one informed by Orthodox spirituality and influenced by the contours of Byzantine chant. Ikon of Light explores the inner, mystical illumination of the soul as described by the medieval mystic St. Symeon the New Theologian. Heaven and Earth weaves Renaissance counterpoint, Slavic harmony, Georgian polyphony, and more around a central Byzantine melodic line. The composers create a tapestry of shimmering harmonies that finds unity through diversity, underscoring the Creation Psalm’s theme: “How magnified are your works, O Lord. With wisdom have You made them all!”
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Matthew Arndt: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - There is the sea
- John Michael Boyer: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - Come, let us worship... Bless the Lord, O my soul
- John Michael Boyer: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - Glory to the Father... Both now...
- John Michael Boyer: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - Stretching out the heavens
- Alexander Khalil: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - He waters the mountains
- Kurt Sander: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - He made the moon
- John Tavener: Ikon of Light
- Richard Toensing: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - Alleluia... Glory to you...
- Richard Toensing: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - May the glory of the Lord endure to the ages
- Tikey Zes: Heaven and Earth: A Song of Creation - The deep, like a cloak