Arp-Schnitger-Orgel Norden, Vol 2 - Luchterhandt, Janssen
MDG Scene 906 1502-6
Classical - Instrumental
Buxtehude, Bach, G. Böhm, J.A. Reinecken
Agnes Luchterhandt (organ)
Thiemo Janssen (organ)
Agnes Luchterhandt and Thiemo Janssen earned a place on the Quarterly Listing of the German Record Critics with their very first SACD. Vol. 2 now follows on the world-famous Arp Schnitger organ in St. Ludgeri’s Church in Norden. This husband-and-wife duo presents the marvelously beautiful tone colors of East Friesland’s most magnificent organ with big sound in selections by Bach and his Northern German models Böhm, Buxtehude, and Reincken.
From his youth Johann Sebastian Bach was familiar with the Northern German organ tradition. Already as a pupil of Georg Böhm in Lüneburg, it was his wish to play one of the Arp Schnitger organs, which even then were famed far and wide. It is not known whether this wish took him to Norden. In any case, he repeatedly visited Hamburg, where he listened to Adam Reincken at St. Katharine’s Church. He was so fascinated by the grand Schnitger organ in the same city’s Church of St. Jacobi that he later applied for the organist’s post there.
Bach’s chorales and large-format toccatas are especially enhanced by the expressive register sound and modified mean-tone temperament of the Schnitger organ in Norden. The lavishly rich sound spectrum formed by the Hauptwerk, Rückpositiv, Pedalwerk, and Oberwerk lends these compositions an extremely vivid effect. The phenomenal listening pleasure is heightened even more by the special recording technique: the listener is transported very deliberately from the earthbound, immediate sound of the church transept to the sublime room sound and heavenly spheres of the Gothic choir. A 3-D sound feast for all the senses!
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Das Orgelbüchlein, BWV 599-644 'Little Organ Book'
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben - Cantata, BWV 147
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 538 'Dorian'
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in E major, BWV 566
- Georg Böhm: Jesu, du bist allzu schöne - Aria with 14 Variations
- Georg Böhm: Vater unser im Himmelreich - Chorale Prelude
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Passacaglia in D minor, BuxWV 161
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Toccata in F major, BuxWV 156
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Von Gott Will Ich Nicht Lassen - Chorale Prelude, BuxWV 220
- Johann Adam Reincken: Fuga in G minor