Schumann: Symphonic Works - Schønwandt
Challenge Classics CC 72553 (2 discs)
Classical - Orchestral
Schumann: Symphonies 1-4, Sechs Fugen über den Namen BACH, Op. 60 (Fuge No. 6), Symphony in G minor "Zwickau"
Netherlands Radio Chamber Philharmonic
Robert Schumann’s four symphonies are undoubtedly highlights of the symphonic repertoire and are a true challenge for any orchestra. The numbering of the symphonies produces a degree of confusion – the Symphony in D minor from 1841 was fundamentally revised by Schumann in 1851 and was then given number 4. The recording on this CD is a reconstruction of the original version and is in fact Schumann’s ‘Second’.
Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below.
As an Amazon Associate HRAudio.net earns from qualifying purchases.
- Robert Schumann: 6 Studien in kanonischer Form für Orgel oder Pedalklavier, Op. 56
- Robert Schumann: Symphony in G minor, WoO. 29 'Zwickau'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 1 in B flat, Op. 38 'Spring'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 97 'Rhenish'
- Robert Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120